William Faulkes was a composer and organist at St Margaret’s Church Anfield for over 40 years prior to his death in 1933.
William was born in Liverpool in 1863 and was taught music by his sister. He became a chorister at St Margaret’s Church aged ten and continued his studies in theory and practical organ playing.
When he was 18 William became the organist at St Johns Church in Tuebrook, remaining there for five years before moving to St Margaret’s Anfield, where he remained for the rest of his life. He also deputised on occasions for W.T. Best at St Georges Hall.
William remained loyal to Liverpool and the church that helped develop him, whilst gaining international recognition as England’s most prolific organ composer. He published over 500 works which were regularly performed in America. In 1913 William was invited by leading German organ manufacturer Welte & Sons to give recitals at their factory in Freiburg.
When he died Won 21st January 1933 at 11 Rocky Lane he left a widow, two sons and a daughter. He was buried in Anfield Cemetery, where his grave is marked by a modest stone. St Margaret’s Church Anfield was destroyed by fire in 1961, which took the organ he was so dedicated to. A modern church stands in its place.
Sheet music and recordings by William are widely available on Amazon and YouTube.